Sunday, September 13, 2009

An Excerpt from President Obama's Victory Speech

The other day as I was viewing posters at a poster sale, I came across a poster with the complete text of President Obama's victory speech. Each time I read or hear this speech, I am easily given a sense of hope for the world, which overshadows many of the disasters and misfortunes that have occurred the past 8 years. Please refer to the 13th paragraph from the link below to view my particular excerpt I am commenting on. It starts, "I know you didn't do this just to win an election and I know your didn't do it for me..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/3383581/Barack-Obamas-victory-speech-Full-text.html

Despite the crumbling economy and job losses, Obama promises to turn the economy around and create new jobs. This follows Aristotle's view of Thought, which is, "Thought--that is, the faculty of saying what is possible and pertinent in given circumstances." (p. 2). Improving the economy and creating jobs is completely possible during these difficult times, even though we have all heard the economy is at its worst point since the Great Depression. Obama states that brave Americans risk their lives everyday by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. This follows Aristotle's view on how character is created, which is, "Character comes in as subsidiary to the actions." (p. 2). The events and actions that Americans fight in and go through in these 2 countries gives them the characteristic of being brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment