Sunday, September 13, 2009

If These Walls Could Speak

If these old walls; If these old walls could speak; Of the things that they remember well; Stories and faces dearly held; Rooms full of laughter; If these walls could speak. If these old halls; If hallowed halls could talk; These would have a tale to tell; Of sun going down and dinner bell; If these halls could speak. If these old fashioned window panes were eyes; I guess they would have seen it all-- Each little tear and sigh and footfall; And every dream that we came to seek; Or followed after; If these walls could speak. They would tell you that I owe you; More than I could ever pay. Here’s someone who really loves you; Don’t ever go away. That’s what these walls would say. That’s what these walls would say…By Amy Grant

A great way to look at this is by using Aristotle “the poet being an imitator, like a painter or any other artist” (6). I think this is important because the artist here actually paints the way someone would picture actual memories. The words have so much more meaning than just what is being said. They are simple guidelines to the direction in which your thoughts would go. This is a song that is sung at events for the sorority that I belong to. It really puts into perspective living in the house the many memories that you create with these friends. Girls that are not only friends now, but will continue to be years and years down the road. Therefore, making this piece of literature to truly move me and allow myself to fully realize every little detail in life. Aristotle also said “By ‘Diction’ I mean the mere metrical arrangement of the words” (2). The words in this song were arranged so very carefully. The way they flow together really made me think about the fact that there will not always be good in our lives. There will be many bad memories as well however, it is nice to know of the many people I can count on to pick me up when I need it. A lot of that will happen when living in a house with 35 other girls. Yet, the memories are irreplaceable, these memories that were created within the walls we live in, an experience that not everyone will be able to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment