Monday, November 30, 2009

Love and Evil

according the the quote for this assignment, the conception of good and evil can be the difference between feeling or not feeling love. according to L'Engle, love is the base of good people and if someone is evil, it means that they have failed to achieve love.

i think that the people in Camazotz are the definition of evil in my opinion. i think that everyone who feels evil has something in common to some degree. such as the "robots" in Camazotz. everyone is forced to be the same and act the same under one evil ruler. in my opinion, "them" is the robots in Camazotz and "us" are us to day in the world.

if you love something, it is worth fighting for that one and fighting against the one trying to hurt the one you love. i belive everyone lives to fight for something or someone they love. it gives us something to look forward to. i think L'Engles' perception of good and evil is right in that you can't have love and be an evil person. the only question i would like to ask is, can you love something/someone and still be evil to that something/someone trying to threaten your love?

i wanted to look at the quote on page 154, IT says, "In Camazotz all are equal. In Camazotz, everybody is the same as everybody else". Meg replies, "Like and equal are not the same thing at all!" what Meg basically tells the audience here is that being "like" someone is a choice. you can choose to be like someone if you chose to do so. You can not chose to be equal with somebody unless under law, which is the world of Camazotz.

with the passage that we see for this assignment, it is "us", Mr. and Mrs. Murray and the others, where we see true love. this is a choice for us to be like these people. so doesn't everybody want love?

2 comments:

  1. I would disagree that people of Camazotz are necessarily evil. They're just victims who did not find enough strength or love to resist the power of the IT. The child who did not play ball at the same pace with everybody else was severely punished. They became "robots" by the force. The Character became the Object that had been influenced by the Environment, in this case by IT.
    I think both Hegelian and Brechtian theory can be applied to this reading. We see people of Camazotz who became Characters as objects and we see Murray family plus Calvin who became Craracters as subjects who have had an impact on the environment.
    I would disagree that everyone "lives to fight for something or someone they love".Despite the fact that your statement, Phillip, is beautiful and sentimental, people may have different purposes in their lives and Love is just one of these purposes. Just like one of my friends would say: "I eat so I could live and I live so I could eat" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have to agree with Yerbol, in the fact that the people are not necessarily evil because they cannot overcome the power of the IT. I think these people often do not even know what they are missing out on. Therefore to them it is not even evil because it is normal for them. However I agree with Phillip or I suppose you could say I have an opinion to the question he asked. I think you can be a good person and still be evil towards something or someone that is trying to threaten your love. I think that an evil person has a love, however a different kind of love. The love they have is a love for evil, so yes it is still a form of love however in a bad form. I also agree with what Meg is implying, I don’t think that a person can be equal to one another unless under a law. However, each person is entitled to be whomever they choose to be, in which case they have the option to be just like someone else.

    ReplyDelete