Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blog Post 3

I have never before thought about the relationship between economic class and language. After reading these two pieces it is impossible to ignore the stark contrast between the way language is used. I would say I come from a middle class family as most people in America would say. Both my parents work but there was always someone there to take me and my brother to school, pick us up, and do homework with. My father made it very clear that family comes first. He never missed a recital, game, or academic decathlon. I think that is greatly based on the fact that he did not have someone able to do that for him.
He comes from a single family home and his mother was unable to go see him play football or meet with teachers. The father in Housework is withdrawn from his children. They have their place and he has his. When speaking to them it is always curt and detached. There was never a “how your day”. When Monica is doing her homework he speaks about the things she is learning and how he never learned them. My father is very active in my education and has been from the beginning. He was the parent I practiced spelling and vocabulary words with. I feel that my dad is so hands on because he did not have a parent that was able to do that for him. My father is also very affectionate with me and my brother. I have never once wondered if he loves me. There were no words of encouragement from Willy. Willy gave demands to Monica.
Maybe if my grandmother had had the economic stability she would have had the opportunity to be more active in my father’s life. She would have been around more to go to games and to say I love you; instead of my dad only seeing my grandmother on Sunday mornings when they went to church. I guess language in this situation is more body language. My grandmother may not have sat down and had dinners with my dad but she went to work to make sure he was provided for. In this case of my dad and grandmother language is not spoken through words but shown by actions.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to having had parents that put family first//attended every event, whether it be my brother's (enjoyable) football games or my (not so enjoyable) synchronized swimming meets.

    And I also agree that in Housework there was an obvious lack of encouragement and love--to the ultimate extreme ie. killing of a child.

    While I believe that these sterotypes can be extreme--and obviously not applicable to all scenarios. There is something to be said for the fact that lack of money takes up your time. In the case of your Grandmother--she can't be faulted for trying to simply provide for your father. The lack of two parents in a home--obviously, the time divided by two people is put on a single individual, making it impossible to do everything and be everywhere at once. Therfore, not making them love anyless--but, probably loving them all the more because they are dedicating their life to caring for their child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also relate to having very involved parents growing up. Neither my mom nor dad missed one event of mine or my three other siblings. After reading Housework I definately have empathy for Monica and the way Willy treats her. When a child isnt given that support that they need and expect from their parents, different life problems could come as a challenge to them or they might not know how to deal with things in the future.
    When it comes to single family households, yes there isnt as much time spent on doing the family things because that parent is so busy, but that definately does not mean that the parent loves their children any less. I think that by showing love through trying to provide for your children is very important. If you work hard for your money and dont spend it like theirs no end taht is a very true love as well. There are so many parents who try and buy their childrens love because they are too busy with their own lives that they dont have time for their children. In the end, as long as your child knows that you are there for them no matter what, they know that they are loved.

    ReplyDelete