Saturday, October 3, 2009

When thinking about how language, work, and class all interact with each other I started to think about my own experiences and the jobs I have had.

In regards to my job--language has a really important role. As I am sure we all agree, the art of language is much deeper than simply being able to have a verbal exchange. I am a nanny and work for several different families. Each time I go in to meet a new family, there is a bond that is either made through communication or it is not. We can all probably recall times that we were conversationally on the same page with someone and when we really weren't. It could be as basic as humour or lead to more personal aspects in which you are able to communicate your thoughts and relate to the other individual on a deeper level.--While most meetings have ended well, with me recieving the job and I go on to have a wonderful relationship with the family--a few meetings have not, one sticking out in my mind. I met with a family and right away the mother was critical of my dress--a personal choice, which is fine--though a little odd to bring up right away. But, the main issue that arose was that she would not allow me to talk to the child--she yelled at her and told her to continue playing in the other room until we were done. Any connection we would have made through language/communication was broken.

While I was reading the Housework piece, I was horrified at the actions of the characters. While it obviously escalades to Willy drowning the baby at the end of the piece, the initial actions of neglect really stuck with me. For instance, in Image 10, they are leaving the house and Willy refused to go if the baby is going with them--and they end up leaving the baby in the house alone by the window. They are in no real rush to get back to it either only saying, 'Let's go home. He's at the window. If he came out of his blanket he gets cold, then he gets sick.' WHAT? They are mildly thinking about their baby at home getting sick? This goes against everything in me as a human--and in my job, working with children. It goes with out saying that I would never leave an infant unattended at home--an obvious difference between my view of life and work and Willy and Martha's.

No comments:

Post a Comment