Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blog Post 3

When thinking about how language, work, and my social/economic status interrelate I would have to say that they each play a role in the person I am today. I come from a middle to upper class family and grew up in the suburbs where everyone has pretty much the same lifestyle. Everyone speaks well and they take their work pretty seriously. I grew up with the notion that the way you speak and say things gives an impression of who you are, which I think is very true. I used to be very harsh and very judgemental when I would talk, whether it be about my day, people I saw or just a conversation I would have with my siblings. I think I changed my language the day I got a job. I started working at our local convience store as a cashier and I ran into so many different people. Some were very poor and some very wealthy. First I learned, that you cant judge a book by its cover. I would always talk down on those that had less then me because I really didnt know their story or what their life consisted of. When I started to meet some of the people that came into the store and got to know them my whole perspective changed. Those people who I thought were nobodies were some of the nicest, smartest people I had ever met. Working their definately changed the way I used language when referring to people who were at a different economic status then I was.It really helps me to relate to all kinds of people after working at this store.
I would probably most closely relate to Martha in this story because of the house cleaning work that she did. Even though this was a minute part in the play I could relate to this tremendously. I cleaned houses this past summer with my friends mom, and it is super hard work and I think that I have a greater appreciation for people who have to do these jobs. Martha said that she had to do it so they could get by becasue Willy didnt have a job, I had to do it to help pay for my college and that gave me great satisfaction knowing I was contributing to something I wanted to work hard for.
The person I didnt relate to was Monica. She was seen to be a second mom in this play, which is something I was fortunant enough not to do. Alot of girls whos moms go to work full time and have to travel have to pick up slack in the areas that Monica had to do. I was lucky in that my mom didnt have to go to work when I was growing up so she was always there to fill that mom role.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post because I agree with you and I can relate. I was raised in the suburbs (Eagan) also, and my family/neighborhood are middle-upper class. What I really agree with you on is "the way you speak and say things gives the impression of who you are." My parents have taught me that growing up. They didn't usually come right out and say it, but they implied it many times. Sometimes my mom would say, "don't say it like that, it makes you sound dumb." I also found out that this is true to a certain extent. Stereotypically, you can usually guess a person's social/economic status by their speech, but not always. Just becuase someone may use less than perfect or normal English doesn't mean they are stupid. Like you said, you cant judge a book by its cover. Everyone has their own story to tell, and their speech doesn't always indicate their status or education. While it may give you somewhat of an idea, you can never truly know until you get to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did not relate closely to Monica. I too never had to fulfill the mom role at home. I was fortunate enough to have a strong parental base that allowed me to be a child. Monica had to take over the responsibilities her mother and father did not have time to do or wanted to do. Martha would work and was tired once she came home, she would have Monica do the dishes and help to take care of Ursula. When Martha would decide she was too overwhelmed she would leave the kids and Willy. Martha would go home to her parents and take a vacation. Monica had to pick up the slack for her parents when it came to Ursula, the baby and the house work. I was lucky like you to be able to rely on my parents to be the adults and I did not have to grow up to soon.

    ReplyDelete