Saturday, December 12, 2009

BLOG TEN? that's a lota blogs.

Because, I didn't have any real signifigant thoughts on what we were talking about at the end of class ie. what I thought the Guardians views on minimum wage would be, I am going to write about some thoughts I had about "Never Let Me Go" before class--thoughts we put on the board, but did not get around to talking about.

One main thought that I had through out the third part of the book--'the hell part' was whether or not Kathy was truly happy being a carer for so long. I know that we spoke briefly on the fact that she was not able to decide when to become a donor--but, I read it that she was for some reason (probably because they were able to decide when to start being a carer) and kept thinking she had a choice.

The reason I thought about this so much was because outside of the feeling of helplessness that I got from their situations in general, I felt an extra sense of hopelessness in Kath's life. While some might say she got longer to live, I saw her life as becoming a completely lonely place before her friends had even completed. There was such a sense of Us/Them/It in their roles. We touched on this in class, but they were ever evolving. Kath, Tommy, and Ruth were a definite Us when they were younger and as they grew up and Tommy and Ruth became donors and Kath remained a carer--things shifted. Both Ruth and Tommy made remarks about Kath not understanding things because she wasn't a donor.

This probably hit home with me because, being alone is a much scary concept than death to me. I, myself, would have hated to be facing being a donor alone with out the comfort of those I loved the most around me and as the book ended I just felt such a sense of hopelessness for Kath, she had gone through the steps vicariously with her friends and now she was left alone to do it herself.

1 comment:

  1. Kath definitely was alone throughout a lot of this book. It is no question that she was madly in love with Tommy from the beginning but because Ruth was in the way she kept all of those feelings to herself. As she got older, as you state here, she found herself being a carer by herself for a long time. It made me sad for her too.

    ReplyDelete