Friday, December 18, 2009

My final finale!

Well - I'm going to write down some final thoughts about the class, seeing as though I am now officially done with my college career. (and I know that Ben won't fail me!) But I just wanted to thank all of you, it was a great semester. To be honest, there is a reason why I saved my lit requirement until my last semester, I hate to read. However, I do like dissecting books and getting into theoretical arguments over my thoughts, yes I know I am stubborn! It was enlightening to see things from a different perspective from the Carlson way of life. I had mentioned this to Ben on Wednesday, but I was truly honored to be in a class with all of you, it opened my eyes for the first time in three years.

So - I will give you an update on how you all have inspired me. Yesterday, I got a phone call pretty much telling me that the job offer that I had accepted in November was not going to be available - in other words my job got rescinded...sweet. However they told me that they had another job available in Ohio - for less pay - and sitting behind a desk calling doctors all day - can anyone see me doing that??? Doubtful, so inspired by all of you and your free spirits, I have decided to say fuck corporate America and find a different job here, close to my family and friends. Being with all of you this semester made me realize that life isn't really what Carlson portrays - you don't have to have the perfect job upon graduation to have a successful and happy life. Though this concept is still hard for me, I'm working on being okay with it.

Soooooo, thanks to all of you! I hope to be hearing from you! Facebook me :)

Kaitlin

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, fuck corporate America! I can't believe they canceled on your when you were about to leave. Well, it is all for the best--you are going to be happier being by your family and friends, since I know you were only going out there to 'pay your time' in the business anyway. I'm proud of you for going against the grain to have a job as soon as your graduate. You will figure things out. Thanks for always making me laugh this semester. I will most certainly be facebooking you and hopefully since you will still be around, I will see you!
    Happy Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing the right thing by saying fuck corporate America. While I could never see you sitting in an office calling doctors all day, I really can't see you doing the corporate gig either. I just want to say thanks to you for a great semester. I know that at times you and I pretended to not care about the class because we weren't getting graded on it, but I think that it really mattered to us, just like it did to everyone else. I wish you the best of luck. And look on the bright side, at least you don't have to a find a place that will let you have your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Like Jim had said in a later post...do what your heart desires. Dont have a job that you dont like. Get out from behind a desk and do something that you truly enjoy! Youll be so much more grateful for making this descion in the long run when you see all the memories youll have with your friends and family instead of moving away. Also I think that you area very smart, fun person who has an opinion about everything and arent afraid to share it. I also do have strong opioins about certain things but am not as vocal as you are. I learned a great deal from you and know that its not a bad thing to voice what I feel and why I feel what I do. So thank you for showing me that! Good luck in the future job search and with that 5 year old little terror you love so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe someone took your job back! Ah I would be so mad! Honesty, that company doesn't even know what they let go. You seem so strong willed and you have a great opinion about everything and aren't afraid to share it. I would love to see where you end up, because I think your're going to be extremely successful. Whether that includes a top notch corporate job or not, because what everyone else said before me-happiness is key. Good luck with everything in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment is more towards what Erik was saying above... I also took this class pass/fail, and because of that I walked into it not really caring how I did, as long as I passed. I have to admit though... I ended up really caring that I had something to add to the discussions every week because I found each of them so enjoyable and I found that I ended up learning a lot more than I thought I would. Thanks to all for such a great class... And Kaitlin I wish you the best of luck, I am about to start the job hunt as well and I think that there is a hell of a lot to say for realizing that the great opportunities might not mean the flashy job, but rather enjoying things that you really value like good friends and family!

    ReplyDelete