Sunday, December 6, 2009

When I first read the line, “I don’t know how it is where you were but…,” the first thing that came to my mind was that Kathy’s world, experiences, and life is probably different than to how mine is. This is what I think Kathy means when she repeatedly says this, her world is different than most people’s. She is raised to believe what is going around her is alright and that the “students” are not humans. The “students” were trying to be dehumanized by the guardians. On page 260, Miss Emily says, “Or to put it more finely, we did it to prove you had souls at all.” As mentioned, the boarding school tried to dehumanize the students. The guardians collected the students’ art work to determine if they were human-like. Humans have “souls” and emotions. If the students had souls, like Miss Emily said the art work was used to prove, then the whole cloning and donation system would be thought of morally wrong since human beings were being killed at the expense of others.

I believe the “us” are people who are taught to think that donations and going to “completion” are alright. I think “them” are the people who try to convince others that it is acceptable. Finally, I think “it” are the donors/clones because they are suppose to be thought of as “nonhumans” and “it” must be thought of as an object.

I think the attended audience is anyone who does not necessarily take time to look pass blatant facts. Sometimes, the true understandings of things are behind curtains and are well hidden.

1 comment:

  1. I also think that Kathy was trying to create a distinction between the audience experiences and hers by repeating “I don’t know how it is where you were but…” She wanted to make it clear that her world was different from ours. I am not sure if she believes that she is not human though. When Kathy and Tommy are talking to Ms. Emily and Madame they were surprised that the women were trying to prove they had souls. I do not think there surprise was because they though they didn’t have souls but that any one would think they would not have a soul. I do think that Ms. Emily and Madame questioned if they had souls. It is easier to use the students as donors if they are believed not to have souls. I agree with you that turning them into soulless nonhumans and “it” makes it easier to use them as objects.

    ReplyDelete