Saturday, December 12, 2009

Expanding Ideas

After our discussion on Wednesday I think that alot of the questions I had were cleared up. The different opinions that were discussed and thrown out about some of the different topics that were brought up were very interesting and made me understand the book in a better sense. When we talked about the boat that they brought up in the book, I dont know if we really established anything about whta the significance of that was. I did think that it was very interesting when we talked about how if the three; Ruth, Tommy and Kath were maybe being brainwashed or forced into what they were thinking when they really knew that there was another world out there. I never had really thought about that until we read the one passage Ben brought up and looking further into it the children knew that there was another world out there and they werent quite sure how to attain it and no one would tell them about it but would just tell them that there is no other way of life and they could only be carers and donors. If there were anything else that I could talk about in class next week would be the ethics behind cloning and then making those people be donars. I know that there are so many different opions on this topic so I think that could make for a very interesting discussion. Also another point that ties in with this would be, do you think our world could turn into this someday? Are we on our way with all of our technological advances? I personally have alot of opinions on these subjects so I think it would be interesting to see what all of the other people in class thought. Pretty pumped for the potluck too..should be a fun way to end the semester!!

1 comment:

  1. i also agree that i would like to understand the significance of the boat... although, jon made a very good point, as well as ben, that the only way in and out of england at the time was by boat. i feel that england was chosen for the book for a very specific reason and i would like to find out what that is as well.

    ReplyDelete