Friday, December 18, 2009

Final Assignment

Dear Yerbol,

During the first class in which we discussed Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, and prior to the break and our interpretation presentation, the class had been discussing how passive and utterly resigned the donors were to their fates (tangent: opposite of Oedipus. Is Never Let Me Go an Aristotilean tragedy? Do the donors have a tragic flaw???). As Ben announced the break, which I wasn't ready for, I turned to you and said something about how the Hailsham students were not educated in a way that would support critical thinking or the questioning of their role in society. Example: at Hailsham there was "good art" and "bad art," and to create "bad art" was to be ridiculed by the other students, as was the case for Tommy. If the students' artwork was so important, as implied by the existence of Madame's Gallery, and the students never questioned what made "good art" or "bad art," what does that tell us about their education? Furthermore, the Gallery, as important as it was, was so much of a secret that even the guardian Lucy honestly believed Tommy's "lack of creativity" was nothing to worry about! The point is, the Hailsham students weren't brought up to question the System because they were repeatedly "told and not told," what the System was (81).

It was in this context, Yerbol, while everyone else was filing out the door, that you mentioned your own education in a communist country, how you were left-handed as a child, but you were struck on your left hand to make sure you learned to write with your right, which is how you write today.

I've been thinking about what you said ever since. Most days I consider myself to be a mover who thinks, rather than a thinker who moves. It is because of this, I believe, that what you said hit me as hard as it did. The manipulation of the physical body by authority, such as being forced to write with your non-dominant hand or jumping rope/bouncing balls in rhythm, is something that makes me extremely uncomfortable. Our bodies were created from unique genetic codes that are specific to the individual. It is one thing to manipulate someone's mind (easily accomplished I believe) and another thing to change the way a person's body functions in space. Communism, you could say, altered a behavior patterned by your own DNA. As a mover who thinks, that's a really scary thought.

I find myself in awe of the power of oppression, thinking about how the characters in all the books we've read this semester were altered by authority. To what extent were their identities changed? Were they ever able to fully escape their oppression? I have to say, the most oppressive thing I’m dealing with right now is finals, and that’s nothing. Other people are fighting truly oppressive situations every day.

With the end of this class, I am thankful for your participation in discussion and the unique perspective you brought. I look forward to reading (for leisure!) with the ideas that you and others have brought to my attention. I will continue to examine the politics, explicit and implicit, behind what I read...and dance, etc., and consider how these politics present themselves in my life. No more passive book reading for me. Reading without close reading seems so incredibly boring now. Anyway, thank you for changing the way I read a book!

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Yerbol,

    I saw you walking down the street this morning (but, you were on the other side and I was driving) but, you had the nicest smile on your face. No one was around you but, you just looked so content. It made me so happy and I just wanted to say thank you for that. Because, it reminded me again of this class and how wonderful I thought it had been.

    Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anneva,
    I like your posting here, I think that you are bringing up some really interesting points. In particular the way that you talk about authority changing the way that people think or act. Yerbol’s situation with his dominant hand is very extreme and hopefully something that does not occur on a regular basis here in the U.S. (at least not to that extent) but what about in less extreme avenues? How many of us go through school/jobs/careers just trying to adapt to the system that we are put into? Since meeting you I have always been impressed with your passion about dance, something that I would not initially have thought of as a career. After talking to you throughout the semester I have no doubt that you are going to go on to be very successful doing something that you quite obviously love. This is just another way that this class has shown me that there are several different ways of thinking/doing things and that taking the time to understand someone else’s perspective can really open my own eyes.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss Yerbol's blogs and comments. I could never stop myself from reading them with his accent. Whenever he made a point based on a reading he would know exactly where to find it in the text. I made stuff up and hoped someone could connect it to something they had read. In retrospect I wish I had done more of the readings, especially housework, oedipus and good person. I think never having looked at any of those held me back. Then again maybe it was good for me to let others say a thing or two.
    I've always felt that with work like this, you're only as good as your audience, talking to and with smart people certainly brings out the best in me. You, Yerbol and many others in the class I didn't expect it from did a great job achieving this. The ideas that came about in class were only possible because we all built on the shared wealth of deep thought and insight. And somehow we all managed to stay civil for the most part even when we disagreed.
    Who knows, I might have to join a book club now (or as Ben suggested, get a PHD in the humanities)

    ReplyDelete
  4. John 1) Housework was like 20 pages 2) You're kind of an ass sometimes.

    ReplyDelete