Tuesday, December 1, 2009

good and evil/a wrinkle in time/thoughts.

When I think back on reading this book as a kid and the feelings that I felt, the sense of love and family connection is a strong one for me. While there was a strong unity in the whole family, Meg's love for her little brother Charles was always one that I felt empathy for, mainly because it's how I felt for my younger brother. As with most families (as I think we discussed in class) there is a strong since of 'us' there are things you will do for them that you might not do for anyone else. This culmination of love and the desire to do anything for each other, which I believe is shown quite strongly through the family's relationship--Charle's desire to find their father and Meg's desire to keep Charlie safe while doing so is representitive of good or rather, love which L'Engle uses to represent love. The family reuniting and the goodness the feel in that scene is a great example. I also feel that while not a happy scene another great example of love as being good and therefore those acting not out of love but evil being bad is seen on pg. 117-118. In this scene, Meg, Charles and Calvin are trying to find out how to find their father--and Charles is the only one who can keep his thoughts away from the man. Charles is acting out of love for his father and looking into the man's eyes at the risk that he will then be able to get into his head--but, Meg acts out. She knocks Charle's over and tells him to stop. On page 117, it says 'she knelt by him, sobbing. After a moment of lying there as though he had been knocked out by the blow, he opened his eyes, shook his head, and sat up.' L'Engle is portraying a love that is brave and wishes to protect against the evil around it. The man goes on to threaten Meg and he says: (with a distinct menace) "I am not pleased. I could very easily lose patience with you, and that, for your information, young lady, would not be good for your father. If you have the slightest desire to see your father again, you had better coorperate." While not openly evil, he wasn't attacking her, he was using the tool that would be the most evil--hurting her family. Because, L'Engle shows the root of good and love as family and the root of evil as the disassembling of family. This is why I believe that the quote that Ben put forth is so powerful--you see the basis of good in the story reassembled and the family is united again and therefore good (as love) has prevailed and I for one am a big fan of when love prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment