Friday, December 18, 2009

Final Post

Christina,

I wasn’t in class when you said this, but the next class I attended I heard about what you said. It was something about how the students at Hailsham are similar to us at the University of Minnesota because we are both being prepared to go out when we graduate and work in jobs to better the rest of society. So many times in this class someone says something that I would never have thought of on my own, but this statement is especially insightful. I really wish I was in class when you guys were discussing (it was the snowstorm day) this book because I am sure I would have more to say about it.

Anyway, I’ll start out by saying what a brilliant comparison! Like always, it’s something I never would have thought of, but I agree with you to a point. There are many reasons why your statement shows the similarities between us and Hailsham. It is true that we are being trained to go out and get a career, and it is true that these careers are designed to help keep the world turning. Our professors are providing us with knowledge and helping us learn and discover things on our own. We are creating works of art just like the students at Hailsham. Although our art comes in the form of papers, presentations, blog posts and other various writing and reading assignments, I believe that the assignments we create are still art.

I see some ways this theory doesn’t match up perfectly with the students from Hailsham. For one, the work that we are creating not only proves we have a soul but it also proves we have a brain. The guardians at Hailsham had no intention or desire to prove if their students had brains; they wouldn’t need those to donate organs. Another important thing is that we have all chosen to come here, and not to mention we all pay a lot to be here. None of the students at Hailsham had any decision about attending; they were simply created and sent there. We also know what our future holds to some extent, unlike the students that were told nothing about what was in store for them. At least we have the ability to make choices about our future; we have freedom while they have no choice. Finally, we are not being lied to by our teachers. The guardians at Hailsham are keeping the secret from the students (maybe in attempt to keep them happy, maybe so they will keep producing artwork and not get depressed, who knows why), but our professors at the U of M are trying to give us as much information as possible for the world ahead of us. While they don’t know exactly where we will go with our life, they are not withholding any information (hopefully).

So after reading this, what do you think? Do you still have the same opinion? I am not trying to argue for or against your opinion, like I stated, I think it is both similar and different to our time here at the U of M. I am just wondering what you think about how I interpreted your statement. Is this kind of what you were thinking, or am I way off? Since I wasn’t in class the day you said it, I would really like to hear more about it from you.

I am going to remember everyone from this class for a long time (especially the last day lol :) ). I am going to take with me the skills I have learned about reading books and interpreting them in other classes I take at the U. I am also going to take with me the new found ability to look at both sides of something and look into the context of the writing. I will remember it is important to take a step back and look at the whole picture. I have already started to read a new book, and I found myself asking, “What would the people in my Lit class say about this?” I think that shows the significance you all have had on my learning. I really enjoyed all the discussions we had together, they were all really great and we all had so much to add to the conversation. I’m going to miss you guys! Merry Christmas, and good luck next semester. Good luck graduates!!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is best to say that U of M students are both similar and different to the students at Hailsham. In no way are we completely similar or completely different. Hannah, you said we are similar to them because our professors teach us to help prepare us for our careers and life after college. I agree with this but building off this idea, I think the Hailsham students are also brainwashed while being prepared to live their lives after Hailsham. Our professors don’t (at least that I am aware of) try to brainwash us to believe only one thing and to not open us up to other ideas. Ben definitely taught us to think about and question everything that is presented to us and to challenge our previous ideas.

    ReplyDelete